Monday, February 9, 2009

Thing 8

Boy am I glad it's catch up week...they must've known that half the world was sick last week and the other half was working twice as hard because of it.

There has been so much debate over this Neflin thing, that I am not going to IM anyone at work. Some things seem to conflict with work policy. We do have a work messaging system which I use sometimes, but mostly it's just to ask who's going to lunch. It's not good to get caught doing that too much.

As for text messaging. I have finally entered that era and now have unlimited texts. Im not sure I need it but it sure is nice to have when your sick and people at work text you things like "If your going to be calling in sick some more, we are going to start dividing up the things on your desk...btw I have been eyeing your stapler." Yes, texts are wonderful little pick me ups sometimes but I have also been on the other side where a simple text has been misconstrued into something much worse. Thats the only problem I find with them...there's no way to read an emotion so you kinda have to make up your own mood for each person you talk to, and hope that you have chosen the right one for the day.

Webinar's are no fun. Like Austin said, we did a couple for work and the connection was always messed up somewhere and it took forever and felt really impersonal. Lets face it, seminars are pretty much the most boring thing you can attend, and then add the component of not having to pay attention because the person isn't there to watch you...and you've pretty much lost me.

As for the library, I think Webinars would be a decent way to reach out to the community...that way we don't have to hear the old people complain that it's first come first serve and they've been waiting since before the doors opened. Also, you don't have to deal with really stinky people. As for text messaging, maybe an alert to go out to our patrons to tell them of an event the day of, would be cool. Im not sure how IM's would go over...I think that would be a problem. Theres too many sicko's out there!

1 comment: